Toronto Beaches Lacrosse Club competes in the OWFL lacrosse season which generally runs from the May long weekend through the August long weekend. This is a highly competitive program for Beaches and requires a strong commitment from players and parents to achieve the goals we set out each year.
• To have a great, enjoyable experience and continue to build upon friendships, competitive spirit, and a love of the game.
• To lead, develop, and promote a positive lacrosse experience for all players and their families.
• To create a learning environment built on a foundation of respect, integrity, and honour.
• To maximize the individual skills development of every player that will enable these players to compete at a high level of lacrosse for years to come.
• To emphasize that lacrosse is a team game, and that team achievements far outweigh individual accomplishments.
• To teach the importance of goal setting that allows for maximum personal, social, athletic and team development.
Beaches fields teams in the following age groups: U11, U13, U15, U19 and Senior. The age groupings are determined by birth year. The birth years and applicable age category for the upcoming season can be found on the OWFLs website. The OWFL posts details of the upcoming season on their website. In January each year a skeleton schedule is released with the weekends of game play and towns in which those games will be played. Teams play 2 games each weekend on one of the days in a set time block based on age.
During the season our rep teams generally practice twice per week on weekday evenings. Locations for these practices have historically been bounded by Queen Street, north to Eglinton and Parliament east to McCowan. Additionally we book at least one club wide US tournament during the season. The tournament will take place on a weekend. Some of our teams will book US tournaments at other times out of the regular season. These are highly encouraged, but not mandatory, as they bring the team together and allow them to further compete against high level talent.
Timing and Schedules
Team tryouts/assessments are held in the fall of each year so that we can plan for the following spring season. During the winter months, when indoor space is available we attempt to get our rep teams out and warming up in anticipation of the upcoming season. Spring practices move outdoors sometime in late March early April generally at Cherry Beach fields.
Our registration fees for the rep program have historically run in the $450 to $600 range plus uniform costs. We use the same uniform season over season as permitted by supplier availability. Players only need to purchase new uniform pieces as they outgrow their current one or they move to a team (based on age) that uses a different style than their previous age group. New players to the club they will need to purchase a complete uniform which includes a jersey, kilt and pinnie. The cost of the uniform ranges but has not $160. We offer bags and other swag available for purchase but is not mandatory.
EYE GOGGLES and MOUTHGUARDS are mandatory for all participants. Girls will not be permitted on the field without them. Eye goggles and mouthguards can be purchased at local specialty lacrosse stores are:
Hogtown Lacrosse and The LAX Shack or many sporting goods retailers (such as Play it Again or some Canadian Tire).